Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's the new Minelab Equinox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Here's the new Minelab Equinox
September 17, 2017 10:55PM
regardless of tech, A+ to minelab for gettng ergonomics correct. perfect grip angle and weight. I'm amazed how many fail to get grip angle correct.
September 17, 2017 11:05PM
Diggs4ever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Des D Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "The only thing about what I've seen thus far th
> at
> > I do not like are the 'search location graphics'
> > I think they're silly and 'cheapen' it to a Tand
> y
> > standard.
>
>
> I thought the same thing in my head when I scene t
> hem made me thing of the go-finds

"Each dot on the meter display uses Memory on the CPU: there is only so much graphical information you can show based on the memory of it.
If those 'location graphics' go then that frees up extra space ( memory ) to show other information.
That could allow extra information to be displayed such as [ target info ] in either an extra Numeric form or [ Confidence ] strength of a signal (as per F75)
Confidence display is a hugely beneficial asset to have and I've often made on-the-fly 'dig or walk' decisions based on it!
Perhaps a 'ground mineral' graphic as originally set in 'Explorer XS' but dropped before production.
There is so more useful and better information that could be displayed"

NB:What if we start a New thread and List all the changes and improvements we'd like to see and present it to Minelab in a timely manner?
September 17, 2017 11:07PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Brandon Niece did a speed test, claims it is faste
> r then the Dues XP:
>
> [youtu.be]

Have to say, that is an AMAZING speed test. But it also concerns me...

My heart would like to believe that a detector can react THAT fast while still being able to hit on an 8"+ deep target AND properly i.d. it, but my brain tells me differently. No doubt it's Deus-like quick, but I just can't see how it can be so and still have FBS type depth and accurate VDI.

As I said, I WANT to believe, but it just seems like it's too good to be true. As Steveg said, it would be 2 machines in one, which has never really been achieved before.

Minelab needs to step it up, and put out an INFORMATIVE 10 or 15 minute video explaining this "new" technology, as well as all of the other features and benefits the unit is capable of. All the rest is purely conjecture, at this point.
September 17, 2017 11:17PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> regardless of tech, A+ to minelab for gettng ergon
> omics correct. perfect grip angle and weight. I'
> m amazed how many fail to get grip angle correct.

Looks like a 705 with a straight shaft which should balance very nicely. Putting the batteries inside the hand grip is a novel idea.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 11:18PM by Jackpine.
September 17, 2017 11:18PM
njnydigger Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> -----
> > Brandon Niece did a speed test, claims it is fas
> te
> > r then the Dues XP:
> >
> > [youtu.be]
>
> Have to say, that is an AMAZING speed test. But it
> also concerns me...
>
> My heart would like to believe that a detector can
> react THAT fast while still being able to hit on a
> n 8"+ deep target AND properly i.d. it, but my bra
> in tells me differently. No doubt it's Deus-like q
> uick, but I just can't see how it can be so and st
> ill have FBS type depth and accurate VDI.
>
> As I said, I WANT to believe, but it just seems li
> ke it's too good to be true. As Steveg said, it wo
> uld be 2 machines in one, which has never really b
> een achieved before.
>
> Minelab needs to step it up, and put out an INFORM
> ATIVE 10 or 15 minute video explaining this "new"
> technology, as well as all of the other features a
> nd benefits the unit is capable of. All the rest i
> s purely conjecture, at this point.

Agreed Joe

I HIGHLY doubt that it will reach/retain depth at the speeds in which are shown in the video/s

it's a known fact that as you increase reactivity speed = you lose depth

I can't see that being any different with this unit/tech
September 17, 2017 11:19PM
Des D Wrote:

> NB:What if we start a New thread and List all the
> changes and improvements we'd like to see and pres
> ent it to Minelab in a timely manner?

I like the idea. Would they read it? Could it influence anything?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 11:19PM by steveg.
September 17, 2017 11:34PM
I like the looks of it.
September 17, 2017 11:35PM
It does look like some superfast recovery but not sure any faster than a properly set up Deus. And I would also wonder what the speed would be on buried objects, BIG difference in my thoughts.
The AKA Sorex Pro actually had a faster recover than than my Deus and that was at depth also. I guess the only way to really know is to see how much trash gets pulled out in the same hole as treasure
September 18, 2017 12:35AM
Why change a unit......... when we hardly have guess-speculation on how the base platform even works.

And........... what if.............. the Fe Co numbers/numerical-system is truly obsolete.......and we'll never need it...ever again; yet, as of right now........... we do not know 'how' & 'why'.
September 18, 2017 01:03AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Why change a unit......... when we hardly have gue
> ss-speculation on how the base platform even works
> .
>
> And........... what if.............. the Fe Co nu
> mbers/numerical-system is truly obsolete.......and
> we'll never need it...ever again; yet, as of right
> now........... we do not know 'how' & 'why'.

Exactly Tom! The ferrous numbers are a great indicator to what might be in the ground. However, this is a brand new platform, using(from what i understand) totally new technology, so saying "I wish they made an FBS Equinox" could be a redundant or oxymoron type statement.
September 18, 2017 02:42AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Why change a unit......... when we hardly have gue
> ss-speculation on how the base platform even works
> .
>
> And........... what if.............. the Fe Co nu
> mbers/numerical-system is truly obsolete.......and
> we'll never need it...ever again; yet, as of right
> now........... we do not know 'how' & 'why'.

NASA-Tom,

My only answer to that is this...I have, over time, and through what I feel is very thorough testing, come to conclude very certainly in my mind that FBS is the best tech out there (at least as of a couple of days ago, LOL), for the specific application of deep coin hunting, in my dirt. And as such, the FE/CO system of ID (and the tones that go with it) -- which I am presuming is inextricably linked to the underlying FBS technology -- is something I cannot imagine doing without at this point. COULD something "better" be developed? Sure. But, while acknowledging that this next sentence may contain flawed assumptions, the fact that FBS is SO GOOD at what it does, my two assumptions are that IF "multi-IQ technology" were going render FBS "obsolete," then #1 it wouldn't be offered at 1/3 the price of the current FBS flagship, and #2 it would be marketed very clearly and directly as "offering superior depth, and ID accuracy, when compared with existing technology," or "the new technological benchmark for deep, accurate coin identification," or something like that. But this machine, for all its grandiose marketing claims, has never made that claim.

So, for these reasons, I am assuming that this machine has taken more specific aim at competing with the "Deus-type" units, not the "FBS" units. Obviously, my assumptions may be completely inaccurate, and my speculations completely flawed. What you suggest IS one possibility -- that FE/CO and FBS may be rendered obsolete by "multi-IQ technology," and never needed again. My background assumption, though, in asking for something FBS-like to be included in the Equinox, was that FBS remains the "benchmark" for deep coin ID, and that Minelab never INTENDED "multi-IQ technology" to out-perform FBS (in other words, it's not the purpose of the technology).

And that, therefore, is my long-winded answer to your question as to why I'd ask for something to be included BEFORE we even know anything about how the base platform of the Equinox even works. I guess it's just me still hoping for a lightweight, waterproof, wireless, affordable FBS or FBS-like machine that maintains the Minelab-patented deep-coin hunting ability I've come to appreciate so much. If Minelab would combine THAT, with a machine that offers the versatility that it appears the Equinox will, such that it ALSO competes favorable with a "Deus-type" unit... WOW...eye popping smiley

Meanwhile, I'll tone it down, and wait to see what the Equinox CAN do, before assuming what it CAN'T...

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 02:45AM by steveg.
September 18, 2017 03:19AM
I could be wrong completely but in reading nasa Tom and Keiths posts it's almost like the are hinting at something OTHER then the new release from mine lab something that is a totally different tech. But as I said could be totally wrong
September 18, 2017 03:38AM
Pedlar mills Wrote:
> I could be wrong completely but in reading nasa To
> m and Keiths posts it's almost like the are hintin
> g at something OTHER then the new release from min
> e lab something that is a totally different tech.
> But as I said could be totally wrong

Pedlar,

That is CERTAINLY one way to "read" NASA-Tom's latest post, especially the second paragraph.

I have heard it rumored that First Texas is working on a PI unit with true discrimination. And should that "discrimination" part actually be accomplished, it would almost CERTAINLY result in a "deeper" unit than FBS, and, possibly, offer superior ability to "ID" coins/desirable targets at depth. And since NASA-Tom is possibly "in the know" on something First Texas may be doing, perhaps there is a "hint" in there...that has nothing to do with the upcoming Equinox release...

Hmm...

Steve

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 03:43AM by steveg.
September 18, 2017 04:02AM
Des D Wrote:
> Diggs4ever Wrote:
> -----
> > Des D Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> "
>
> NB:What if we start a New thread and List all the
> changes and improvements we'd like to see and pres
> ent it to Minelab in a timely manner?

Great Idea!!
September 18, 2017 05:00AM
I think Tom has valid points,most people here are not brand loyal...I would certainly use a different tool to get the job done if it served its purpose well. FTP seems to give all kinds of reasons they can't make a new modern CZ for an extremely popular platform........Maybe, just maybe this could be Minlabs take on something that a lot of serious detectorist have been hoping for , for years!!!! HH Tony
September 18, 2017 07:56AM
Sitting at the doctor with some time on my hands.
Everyone seems to have gone for the assumtion that it will indeed or should Obsolete a few other detectors.

FBS2 can be very deep, however you don't buy it for sheer depth, you buy it for great ID.

VFLEX is fast, has great ground tracking, great ID, but can also be run fixed GB for harvested fields littered with iron.
However not waterproof and lacks wireless.

Enter the Ox.
From what I've seen it's direct head on collision course with a Deus. Fast, variable frequency, waterproof "mudproof",
AND
I'm really hoping that they solved the "bottlecap" problem. Multi-frequency analysis should provide a better ID of the target
then having to drop your frequency on each bottlecap. But it isn't FBS2 in my opinion.

Bring on the Ox, great features packed in an outdoor proof unit. And at long last decent buttons and no mouse f@rts to listen too.

HH
Johnb
September 18, 2017 08:23AM
I hope they get the menu setup right, especially being able to quickly awitch between side by side personal programs/frequencies.
I wonder if the multi freq gets tough ground like fbs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 08:24AM by ghound.
September 18, 2017 09:36AM
I always worry about those large screens in salt and sand. They end up looking bad over time. Screen protectors in water do not work. It needs to be made of tuff stuff.
September 18, 2017 10:23AM
I think there's a good reason Fisher hasn't entered the "All Terrain" gauntlet. They have something big I bet.
September 18, 2017 11:55AM
Des D Wrote:
> "The only thing about what I've seen thus far that
> I do not like are the 'search location graphics'
> I think they're silly and 'cheapen' it to a Tandy
> standard.
> I'm glad the box photos showed the actual location
> s as I was perplexed if the 'Field' was 'an electr
> ical pylon or a windmill?'
> Now I see it's a 'windmill' which, will probably m
> ake this a very popular detector with our Dutch fr
> iends!
>
> Joking aside, I hope they drop those awful graphic
> s / icons"

"Final comment for me: I forgot to say, I hope they WON'T use the 'X-Terra' arm rest/stand on the New Product.
We all know the 'feet' are so narrow so the detector falls over all the time, especially on inclines such as woods etc.
( I told 'em that back in 2005 but....)"
September 18, 2017 02:59PM
I know for certain the release date. I can not say the date but Everyone will ve pleased to know it will be before christmas
September 18, 2017 03:00PM
The way Minelab is cranking out the goods, I think we see a better chance of those guys coming out with a iron disc pulse unit.
September 18, 2017 03:02PM
Diggs4ever Wrote:
> I know for certain the release date. I can not say
> the date but Everyone will ve pleased to know it w
> ill be before christmas

I have already commented here on this.
Btw, a change is coming.

Won't say what it is.
I'll watch and see who picks up on first.

Some here don't think I have little birdies.
They're wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 03:04PM by Sod-buster.
September 18, 2017 03:15PM
Sod-buster Wrote:
> Diggs4ever Wrote:
> -----
> > I know for certain the release date. I can not s
> ay
> > the date but Everyone will ve pleased to know it
> w
> > ill be before christmas
>
>
> I have already commented here on this.
> Btw, a change is coming.
>
> Won't say what it is.
> I'll watch and see who picks up on first.
>
> Some here don't think I have little birdies.
> They're wrong.

Yes I was simply turning it into fact. Both versions will be released in Dec
September 18, 2017 03:18PM
Good chance Euro customers will get first too.
September 18, 2017 03:18PM
I can't wait to hear about the change I trust you have some nice sources haha. I will keep my eues pealed on this page to hear about the changes, cheers
September 18, 2017 03:24PM
Diggs4ever Wrote:
> Yes I was simply turning it into fact. Both versio
> ns will be released in Dec

Sounds about right to me. Three months is more than enough time to straighten out any bugs, and get into mass production.
September 18, 2017 03:36PM
I had the AT Max is my shopping cart last night and chickened out of pulling the trigger. I figured it would pass the time til the Equinox got here. I thought better of it because I figured that once it does get here, an AT Max may be hard to unload. December is a lot better than February. I am on the list for one too.
September 18, 2017 03:40PM
Looks like according to my sources, first folks likely to receive units around New Year's Day time frame.
This may or may not be for USA customers.

Minelab could beat this goal though, who knows.

Fully expect to be hearing from USA Minelab dealers soon on this issue of availability.

Minelab may choose to spread the wealth country wise around the world with first batch of units too.
Might be a good strategy,,good advertising of their units. (This part here is just my opinion)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 04:02PM by Sod-buster.
September 18, 2017 05:15PM
Notice anything different here?

[www.minelab.com]
[www.minelab.com]

This difference already been posted here previously.
Don't think it was discussed per se.
As far as original advert statement made about the models.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 05:36PM by Sod-buster.