Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's the new Minelab Equinox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Here's the new Minelab Equinox
September 19, 2017 06:00PM
Multi-freq definitely handles challenging ground minerals better then most VLF until you get the HF VLF machines. Nice thing on the Nox is that it has both options smiling smiley

ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's another advantage here in the uk with mult
> i freq vs Deus single freq, is coke, some of my fi
> elds are riddled with it, and under certain condit
> ions the Deus isn't good at ID,ing it.
>
> Mike Hillis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Everyone has to react to XP's Deus sooner or lat
> er
> > . This is Minelab's reaction. We should kno
> w
> > by this time next year if it was a sucessful or
> no
> > t.
> >
> > HH
> > Mike
September 19, 2017 06:03PM
ghound Wrote:
> There's another advantage here in the uk with mult
> i freq vs Deus single freq, is coke, some of my fi
> elds are riddled with it, and under certain condit
> ions the Deus isn't good at ID,ing it.

"I'm not sure I'd agree?
X-Terra does react to coke and I have no doubts 'Equinox' will be the same?

I think the new 'IQ Multifrequency' is really VFLEX2 and improved coil to control box communication which VFLEX was.

The frequencies chosen are Single Frequencies created by sine wave transmission (perfect sine wave in the case of X-Terra) and sine waves do not create harmonic frequencies.
Square waves do and they produce many harmonic frequencies.
So if this was the case with the 'Equinox', we'd have FBS3...and FBS is terrific for 'ignoring' coke!'
But we don't! We have 'IQ Multifrequency'

The original VFLEX used a chip in the coil "to communicate" with the control box "to set the parameters", chiefly the frequency of the coil connected at that time and to set other 'processes @ the speed of 5 million a second.
I'm thinking 'the magic' is happening in the coil with two processors perhaps and two also in the control box giving 20 million processes per second and they've also found a new way to 'bend' the rules of sine wave transmission in frequency domain analysis? One chip runs sine wave @ a single frequency but the second chip changes the sine wave to a square wave?

BBS & FBS/2 were good at ignoring coke: VFLEX is 'iffy' at best: IQ might be just as susceptible?

And I'm not so sure about better performance on beach wet salt sand either?
From the video sound bytes seen it appears to work, act and sound like all the other Minelab models: it's not doing anything different: it'll be similar to many other VLF's except, it will be much faster thereby having superior 'unmasking' qualities?

One thing I'd really be keen for it to do is to allow the user to select the exact frequencies he or she wanted to engage when selecting 'Multifrequency!
Perhaps turn off 5 & 10kHz' and select the higher or vice versa, select three lower ones?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 06:09PM by Des D.
September 19, 2017 06:11PM
Des D Wrote:
> ghound Wrote:
> -----
> > There's another advantage here in the uk with mu
> lt
> > i freq vs Deus single freq, is coke, some of my
> fi
> > elds are riddled with it, and under certain cond
> it
> > ions the Deus isn't good at ID,ing it.
>
> "I'm not sure I'd agree?
> X-Terra does react to coke and I have no doubts 'E
> quinox' will be the same?
>
> I think the new 'IQ Multifrequency' is really VFLE
> X2 and improved coil to control box communication
> which VFLEX was.
>
> The frequencies chosen are Single Frequencies crea
> ted by sine wave transmission (perfect sine wave i
> n the case of X-Terra) and sine waves do not creat
> e harmonic frequencies.
> Square waves do and they produce many harmonic fre
> quencies.
> So if this was the case with the 'Equinox', we'd h
> ave FBS3...
> But we don't! We have 'IQ Multifrequency'
>
> The original VFLEX used a chip in the coil "to com
> municate" with the control box "to set the paramet
> ers", chiefly the frequency of the coil connected
> at that time and to set other 'processes @ the spe
> ed of 5 million a second.
> I'm thinking 'the magic' is happening in the coil
> with two processors perhaps and two also in the co
> ntrol box giving 20 million processes per second a
> nd they've also found a new way to 'bend' the rule
> s of sine wave transmission in frequency domain an
> alysis? One chip runs sine wave @ a single frequen
> cy but the second chip changes the sine wave to a
> square wave?
>
> BBS & FBS/2 were good at ignoring coke: VFLEX is '
> iffy' at best: IQ might be just as susceptible?
>
> And I'm not so sure about better performance on be
> ach wet salt sand either?
> From the video sound bytes seen it appears to work
> , act and sound like all the other Minelab models:
> it's not doing anything different: it'll be simila
> r to many other VLF's except, it will be much fast
> er thereby having superior 'unmasking' qualities?
>
> One thing I'd really be keen for it to do is to al
> low the user to select the exact frequencies he or
> she wanted to engage when selecting 'Multifrequenc
> y!
> Perhaps turn off 5 & 10kHz' and select the higher
> or vice versa, select three lower ones?"

I really enjoy your post you have tought me a lot and I imagine many others as well. You deserve a big koodoos, cheers Chad
September 19, 2017 07:42PM
Interesting point from sgoss66 on Finds:
sprchng --

Here...

[www.youtube.com]

This guy, I believe, is the designer, Mark Lawrie...

Start listening to the video at about the 2:40 mark.

He says, when discussing the frequency options, that you have 5, 10, and 15 kHz in the 600 model for single frequencies, and then "a multi-frequency that is associated with "Park," a multi-frequency that is associated with "Field," and a multi-frequency that is associated with "Beach..." And then, just a short while later when still discussing multi-frequency, he says they are all "specially tuned" for different scenarios, which I interpret to be that he is still referring to how the frequencies used in multi-frequency are "specially tuned" for each of those different "modes."

Steve

If what Steve said is true, then this means we might be looking at different MF's for different modes, which brings up some interesting options and experimentation.

I'm still wondering about the "removing the ground signal" part. This is most assuredly how it has such an accurate ID (And FBS machines as well). By by 2D screen? Just not needed with a stable ID.

And I think SteveG here said something about installing an FBS like function on the Equinox, well, you remember those old Atari 2600 video game platforms - around the late 70's or early 80'. Now you can buy 1 with every game installed or just guy all the games on one CD ROM for your computer.
My point here is that with everything getting smaller on computers - Steveg, I bet you are right, Minelab can just emulate and E-Trac on an Equinox. I imagine they could even give you a supercharged one (to a point), due to the processors. (Which I imagine are multicore - chew on that tech guys...)

Albert

ps - Yeah, I've started posting again, can anyone tell I'm excited? hot smiley
September 19, 2017 07:58PM
This can also mean automatic selection of one operating frequency depending on the selected mode ...
That is, simply automatic change of operating frequency ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 08:01PM by vfp7.
September 19, 2017 08:18PM
Albert --

That post on Findmall was me! winking smiley

I guess I -- like you -- am a bit excited, too, about the possibilities. I've posted ideas to a number of forums, trying to glean as much info as I can from anyone who might have something to offer.

Yes, I would really like to understand the whole "removing the ground signal" thing. I'd like to know how that works -- Des D in another post discussed sine waves versus rectangular waves (and harmonics), and then how this new "Multi-IQ" tech on the Equinox might use sine wave xmit on one frequency, and then kind of "bend the rules" (his words) with another simultaneous frequency to sort of "make" rectangular waves, in a different way than FBS does it. I didn't follow the technical things he was talking about, but I'd really like a "rectangular waves, sine waves, and how FBS does things, FOR DUMMIES." I'd love to understand it better (as I do feel that understanding "how our tools work" can help us to be better detectorists). I am convinced, from just experience using FBS, that on the Explorers, they somehow separate out (imperfectly, but still) ground signal from target signal, and the "FE" number deterioration you experience with depth, is revealing the effects of ground mineral affecting returned signal from your target. But the cool thing is how they kept most of that ID deterioration CONFINED TO the FE side of the equation. THEN, on the E-Trac, they "normalized" the FE number to "12," such that for a newer user, it makes things less difficult -- i.e., you don't have to look as much at the clues in the FE number; the CO number is pretty stable, while the FE number also remains more stable at that normalized "12" value (FE shows nowhere near the fluctuation on the E-Trac, as you get on an Explorer). So, in a way, one could see how that could be a step toward "single digit" ID...the E-Trac lets you focus even more on just the CO number (though there are still clues in the FE number). Then, I believe it was you in another post who said that on the CTX, the FE number is even MORE stable than on the E-Trac -- again, one could see how that could be another step toward allowing focus on just the CO side, for ID purposes (not discounting target trace or other ID information, nor suggesting in any way that one should simply focus on an ID number). But the evolution from Explorer (deteriorating FE number with depth but stable CO), to the E-Trac (normalize/stabilize the FE number to 12, while dealing with the "deterioration in FE info with depth" kind of "behind the scenes"), to the CTX (FE number even MORE stable, and thus even less need to look at the FE side of the equation). Could we now be at the point where FE number is rendered unnecessary? Perhaps.

I REALLY want to find out more about the Equinox's multi-frequency capability as it pertains to depth/accurate ID with depth.

MAN, I sound like a broken record! smiling smiley

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 10:35PM by steveg.
September 19, 2017 08:19PM
vfp7 Wrote:
> This can also mean automatic selection of
>one
> operating frequency depending on the selected m
> ode ...
> That is, simply automatic change of operating freq
> uency ...

vfp7 -- I dont' think so, though I could be wrong. He seemed to be specifically discussing "multi-frequency" in that segment of the video...

Speculation, but that was my take on it...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 10:37PM by steveg.
September 19, 2017 08:46PM
" I bet you are right, Minelab can just emulate and E-Trac on an Equinox. I imagine they could even give you a supercharged one (to a point), due to the processors. (Which I imagine are multicore - chew on that tech guys...)"

I wish it were that simple. There is so much hardware involved, to emulate in software may be too slow to be effective. Then there is the coil itself, to have it compatible with many different freqs and many different modes would be near impossible.
September 19, 2017 08:46PM
The answer will give a simple test with a gradual increase in depth for the color target.
If its VDI changes, then one frequency is working.
If VDI is unchanged, then several frequencies work ...

ps: was it really so difficult for anyone to conduct several tests with this detector on September 16th ...
September 19, 2017 09:23PM
"Good thoughts there steveg!

Multi IQ
Simultaneous Multi-Frequency Technology

I think the clue to the New Technology is contained in the name, IQ and the graphic they have used, with 'pixels missing' from it and the use of different color pixelation?
And if you just use a Dictionary and look it up 'Quotient', you'll see:

Quotient - 1. obtained by dividing one quantity by another.
2. A degree or amount of a specified quality or characteristic.
3. The result of division: the number of times one quantity is contained in another.
4. Quotient is used when indicating the presence of a characteristic in something.

Interesting too is the use of the very old and original tagline used for the original Explorer in the advertising, "Simultaneous Multi-Frequency Technology

So I'm of the opinion they have an 'air bender' who has made a breakthrough in waveform transmission and to make it even more revealing is, he found something that has been missed for years by the entire industry, something that has been under everyone's nose?

Could it be that they've found a way [ to arrest a sine wave ] in its transmission and [ electrify it ] to produce sub multiples of itself and cause 'minute breaks' that by secondary cause creates a cloned square wave?

Why not? Processors and micro processors have improved massively even since CTX."
September 19, 2017 09:29PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> Interesting point from sgoss66 on Finds:
> sprchng --
>
> Here...
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> sktop
>
> This guy, I believe, is the designer, Mark Lawrie.
> ..
>
> Start listening to the video at about the 2:40 mar
> k.
>
> He says, when discussing the frequency options, th
> at you have 5, 10, and 15 kHz in the 600 model for
> single frequencies, and then "a multi-frequency th
> at is associated with "Park," a multi-frequency th
> at is associated with "Field," and a multi-frequen
> cy that is associated with "Beach..." And then, ju
> st a short while later when still discussing multi
> -frequency, he says they are all "specially tuned"
> for different scenarios, which I interpret to be t
> hat he is still referring to how the frequencies u
> sed in multi-frequency are "specially tuned" for e
> ach of those different "modes
."

>
> Steve
> ***************************
>
>
> If what Steve said is true, then this means we mig
> ht be looking at different MF's for different mode
> s, which brings up some interesting options and ex
> perimentation.
>
> I'm still wondering about the "removing the ground
> signal" part. This is most assuredly how it has su
> ch an accurate ID (And FBS machines as well). By b
> y 2D screen? Just not needed with a stable ID.
>
> And I think SteveG here said something about insta
> lling an FBS like function on the Equinox, well, y
> ou remember those old Atari 2600 video game platfo
> rms - around the late 70's or early 80'. Now you c
> an buy 1 with every game installed or just guy all
> the games on one CD ROM for your computer.
> My point here is that with everything getting smal
> ler on computers - Steveg, I bet you are right, Mi
> nelab can just emulate and E-Trac on an Equinox. I
> imagine they could even give you a supercharged on
> e (to a point), due to the processors. (Which I im
> agine are multicore - chew on that tech guys...)
>
> Albert
>
> ps - Yeah, I've started posting again, can anyone
> tell I'm excited? hot smiley

If that be the case then I would expect and explanation in the manual as to what ground conditions the "modes" refer to as in soil type rather than location. for instance Park equals mild to moderate ground, windmill LOL equals hot ground and beach equals conductive ground.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
September 19, 2017 10:12PM
I tend to think it's a new way of sampling and processing multiple sine waves. Only thing that might blow that theory out of the water is varying electrical losses at different frequencies that would make comparative processing of the receive signals difficult. ML has it nailed with PI, think multi period sensing, VLF is a different beast.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
September 19, 2017 10:54PM
I just read that the Equinox weighs 300 grams more than the Deus thats over a half pound more hmm
September 19, 2017 11:05PM
Des D Wrote:
> "Good thoughts there steveg!
>
> Multi IQ
> Simultaneous Multi-Frequency Technology
>
> I think the clue to the New Technology is containe
> d in the name, IQ and the graphic they have used,
> with 'pixels missing' from it and the use of diffe
> rent color pixelation?
> And if you just use a Dictionary and look it up 'Q
> uotient', you'll see:
>
> Quotient - 1. obtained by dividing one quantity by
> another.
> 2. A degree or amount of a specified quality or ch
> aracteristic.
> 3. The result of division: the number of times one
> quantity is contained in another.
> 4. Quotient is used when indicating the presence o
> f a characteristic in something.
>
> Interesting too is the use of the very old and ori
> ginal tagline used for the original Explorer in th
> e advertising, "Simultaneous Multi-Frequency Techn
> ology
>
> So I'm of the opinion they have an 'air bender' wh
> o has made a breakthrough in waveform transmission
> and to make it even more revealing is, he found so
> mething that has been missed for years by the enti
> re industry, something that has been under everyon
> e's nose?
>
> Could it be that they've found a way [ to arrest a
> sine wave ] in its transmission and [ electrify it
> ] to produce sub multiples of itself and cause 'mi
> nute breaks' that by secondary cause creates a clo
> ned square wave?
>
> Why not? Processors and micro processors have impr
> oved massively even since CTX."

Des,

Fascinating. I can follow somewhat your thinking, though still don't know the implications of sine wave vs. "rectangular" waves, and what the advantage is -- that apparently FBS exploits -- of using rectangular waves and harmonics vs. sine waves.

So, let's say your speculating is correct. Instead of having to "generate" rectangular waves, they can take a transmitted sine wave and "mess with it electrically" so as to divide it into sub-multiples of itself...and sort of "mimic" or "artificially produce" something with "square wave" properties...

So, what would the implications of that be in terms of detector performance? What kind of improvement on "rubber meets the road" things like depth, unmasking, ID, etc., could possibly result, if indeed you are correct in what has been accomplished? I'm trying to understand why "square" or "rectangular" is better than pure sine wave, and what information is "gleaned" from the properties of rectangular or square wave transmit/receive versus sine wave, that will benefit detectorists? (Please forgive my relative electronic ignorance...)

Steve
September 20, 2017 12:54AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> canslawhero Wrote:
> -----
> > Pimento Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
>
> > as an aside, I just received last week the new v
> er
> > sion of wireless headphones (now have battery
> life
> > beeps
) and tx module for my Racer 2. Works r
> eally,
> > really well!
> > I'm really impressed with it! volume control kno
> b
> > adjust works brilliantly, and just turn the head
> ph
> > ones on and go. absolutely no delay detected and
> a
> > udio is great.
> > nice setup now and a joy to use at least till ne
> xt
> > spring when the Equinox is available up here in
> Ca
> > nada, lol.
>
> The battery life indicator was my suggestion from
> field testing them smiling smiley

really glad that's there now! good job....maybe Minelab will give you a beta nox8 for testing, lol
September 20, 2017 03:36AM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> Interesting point from sgoss66 on Finds:
> sprchng --
>
> Here...
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> sktop
>
> This guy, I believe, is the designer, Mark Lawrie.
> ..
>
> Start listening to the video at about the 2:40 mar
> k.
>
> He says, when discussing the frequency options, th
> at you have 5, 10, and 15 kHz in the 600 model for
> single frequencies, and then "a multi-frequency th
> at is associated with "Park," a multi-frequency th
> at is associated with "Field," and a multi-frequen
> cy that is associated with "Beach..." And then, ju
> st a short while later when still discussing multi
> -frequency, he says they are all "specially tuned"
> for different scenarios, which I interpret to be t
> hat he is still referring to how the frequencies u
> sed in multi-frequency are "specially tuned" for e
> ach of those different "modes."
>
> Steve
> ***************************
>
>
> If what Steve said is true, then this means we mig
> ht be looking at different MF's for different mode
> s, which brings up some interesting options and ex
> perimentation.
>
> I'm still wondering about the "removing the ground
> signal" part. This is most assuredly how it has su
> ch an accurate ID (And FBS machines as well). By b
> y 2D screen? Just not needed with a stable ID.
>
> And I think SteveG here said something about insta
> lling an FBS like function on the Equinox, well, y
> ou remember those old Atari 2600 video game platfo
> rms - around the late 70's or early 80'. Now you c
> an buy 1 with every game installed or just guy all
> the games on one CD ROM for your computer.
> My point here is that with everything getting smal
> ler on computers - Steveg, I bet you are right, Mi
> nelab can just emulate and E-Trac on an Equinox. I
> imagine they could even give you a supercharged on
> e (to a point), due to the processors. (Which I im
> agine are multicore - chew on that tech guys...)
>
> Albert
>
> ps - Yeah, I've started posting again, can anyone
> tell I'm excited? hot smiley

Me too Albert!!
September 20, 2017 04:32PM
steveg Wrote:
> Albert --
>
> That post on Findmall was me! winking smiley
>
> I guess I -- like you -- am a bit excited, too, ab
> out the possibilities. I've posted ideas to a num
> ber of forums, trying to glean as much info as I c
> an from anyone who might have something to offer.
>
> Yes, I would really like to understand the whole "
> removing the ground signal" thing. I'd like to kn
> ow how that works -- Des D in another post discuss
> ed sine waves versus rectangular waves (and harmon
> ics), and then how this new "Multi-IQ" tech on the
> Equinox might use sine wave xmit on one frequency,
> and then kind of "bend the rules" (his words) with
> another simultaneous frequency to sort of "make" r
> ectangular waves, in a different way than FBS does
> it. I didn't follow the technical things he was t
> alking about, but I'd really like a "rectangular w
> aves, sine waves, and how FBS does things, FOR DUM
> MIES." I'd love to understand it better (as I do
> feel that understanding "how our tools work" can h
> elp us to be better detectorists). I am convinced
> , from just experience using FBS, that on the Expl
> orers, they somehow separate out (imperfectly, but
> still) ground signal from target signal, and the "
> FE" number deterioration you experience with depth
> , is revealing the effects of ground mineral affec
> ting returned signal from your target. But the co
> ol thing is how they kept most of that ID deterior
> ation CONFINED TO the FE side of the equation. TH
> EN, on the E-Trac, they "normalized" the FE number
> to "12," such that for a newer user, it makes thin
> gs less difficult -- i.e., you don't have to look
> as much at the clues in the FE number; the CO numb
> er is pretty stable, while the FE number also rema
> ins more stable at that normalized "12" value (FE
> shows nowhere near the fluctuation on the E-Trac,
> as you get on an Explorer). So, in a way, one cou
> ld see how that could be a step toward "single dig
> it" ID...the E-Trac lets you focus even more on ju
> st the CO number (though there are still clues in
> the FE number). Then, I believe it was you in ano
> ther post who said that on the CTX, the FE number
> is even MORE stable than on the E-Trac -- again, o
> ne could see how that could be another step toward
> allowing focus on just the CO side, for ID purpose
> s (not discounting target trace or other ID
> information, nor suggesting in any way[/
> i] that one should simply focus on an ID number).
> But the evolution from Explorer (deteriorating FE
> number with depth but stable CO), to the E-Trac (n
> ormalize/stabilize the FE number to 12, while deal
> ing with the "deterioration in FE info with depth"
> kind of "behind the scenes"), to the CTX (FE numbe
> r even MORE stable, and thus even less need to loo
> k at the FE side of the equation). Could we now b
> e at the point where FE number is rendered unneces
> sary? Perhaps.
>
> I REALLY want to find out more about the Equinox's
> multi-frequency capability as it pertains to depth
> /accurate ID with depth.
>
> MAN, I sound like a broken record! smiling smiley
>
> Steve

LOL, it honestly never crossed my mind you were the same Steve! (There is that excitement again.)

I gave a little thought to the whole MF thing and something obvious jumped out at me - Most manufacturers have been using single frequencies, so let's say that out of the gate. And then those that experiment with MF are few and far between AND limited by Minelabs patents. I don't like that btw, it slows down progress.
If you look at how the CTX (as you said and I clearly noticed) no longer had much of a bouncy Fe number, it became clear that maybe it was indeed removing the ground. (Removing the ground with a frequency (or two) and then further hitting the ground with a frequency or two or three(?), boy, that is a lot more than just
using MF to find targets. Maybe others have tried that, I don't know.) With the CTX getting better with that Fe stability, you have to ask - If that Fe number doesn't bounce, why is it needed? Well, I would say it still had some bounce and perhaps gave us valuable information on the ground. (Enter Equinox...)
Anyway, I bet that Minelab is analyzing the ground alone (why would they stop?) and then removing that signal from the equation - hence the super stable CO number. The patent kept everyone away from doing that. How they do that? What you guys have said all makes sense. They are being creative, not just attacking
this from a straightforward approach. A bit of "stick notes" luck if you will, perhaps.

I do hope they can at some point in the future have a bit of an E-Trac emulator on there. I'd love the 2D screen again. Maybe instead of depth off to one side, that Fe number alludes to it? Don't know, but give us more than a number...

For fun:
You know, I haven't been this excited about a new detector since the CTX. I was hoping for an Equinox then, I let it be known and I was honestly disappointed with the bulk and weight of the CTX (yeah, but great balance, lol). Then I took a chance on the AKA Signum and it was deeper than the E-Trac and CTX3030 (in my ground). But it just wasn't as fun.

I learned on a Nautilus IIb, maybe 13 years ago. I avoided Minelabs like the plague. I hated all those pictures of success on their forum. Thought my ears and mind should do all the work! (But for a beginner? Well, I learned a lot at least.) Then I got a T2 and thought - WOW, but damn, I wish I would have started with TID first! (But it was a hot baby to start with.) Then an Omega 8000 and that is when I started getting depth. (My iron mineralized soil was to blame, honestly, lol. Then a V3i, but the depth wasn't there. By that point I was making lots of videos and sort of in an instructional way, discovering the settings with the audience, my forte. Well, I got an E-Trac, and BAMMM! I was
getting 9" pretty quick. I still had the V3i and did comparison videos. But I tried every setting I could. I was in talks with Whites mods to find out why the depth wasn't there - and Whites were using my videos on their website (I got some free gifts out of it!). Having a detective and Computer Science background, I thought it had to be me at first as the V3i had every setting. But all MF's are not equal. Like I said, I tried everything. Head to head, the E-Trac smoked the V3i (in my ground). Anyway, what I was going to say was, the E-Trac/CTX was fun to hunt with. I loved the 2D screen, I loved having enough settings, but not too many. So, I am stoked to detect again! I actually haven't had a machine in over a year, and really haven't detected in 3+! I do hope the depth is there with the Equinox!

Albert

ps - Well said Tom and right on DeathRay!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 04:36PM by earthmansurfer.
September 20, 2017 06:14PM
I am still of the opinion that 'Equinox', is a hybrid of BBS and VLF (VFlex)
Why so?
The Frequencies chosen are more in line with the older 'Sovereign / Excalibur' BBS system albeit with some now slightly adjusted frequency shifting.

Sovereign - 4.5 , 6.0, 9.0, 10.5, 15, 19.5, 21.00
Equinox - 5, 10, 15, 20, 40kHz

The hybrid aspect comes in @ 40kHz and I'm thinking this will not function in Multi-Frequency unless the 20kHz comes in as well as 'a double act' for Prospecting?

For 'Beach' use, it could be a trio of 10, 15 & 20 to maximise sensivity to gold rings and 'hard to find' gold chains.

What else is convincing me that it's BBS/VLF?
We don't have 2-D Discrimination
We don't have Smartfind
We don't have 3 Channels as per 'E Trac', with Auto Sens and Suggested Sens run by L, M & H Channels.
Will we have +3 and -3 as in the User option?

I'm wondering if Noise Cancel will shift these fundamental frequencies by much?
I'm guessing there will be 8 NC Channels
I'm guessing Sensitivy & Volume will be 1 - 20
I'm guessing TID' will range from 1 - 99

Maybe I'm completely wrong and way off in my thinking?
Can anyone lucky to have handled 'Equinox' at 'Detectival' confirm the Sens/Vol/Target ID parameters?

Des D
September 20, 2017 06:59PM
Well,
Guess who has not posted in this thread??

And likely for good reason(s).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 07:01PM by Sod-buster.
September 20, 2017 07:29PM
OHHHHH I can only dream. I hope your opinion is right Mr. Des. Maybe I should start saving my $$ now smoking smiley

Des D Wrote:
> I am still of the opinion that 'Equinox', is a hyb
> rid of BBS and VLF (VFlex)
> Why so?
> The Frequencies chosen are more in line with the o
> lder 'Sovereign / Excalibur' BBS system albeit wit
> h some now slightly adjusted frequency shifting.
>
> Sovereign - 4.5 , 6.0, 9.0, 10.5, 15, 19.5, 21.00
> Equinox - 5, 10, 15, 20, 40kHz
>
> The hybrid aspect comes in @ 40kHz and I'm thinkin
> g this will not function in Multi-Frequency unless
> the 20kHz comes in as well as 'a double act' for P
> rospecting?
>
> For 'Beach' use, it could be a trio of 10, 15 & 20
> to maximise sensivity to gold rings and 'hard to f
> ind' gold chains.
>
> What else is convincing me that it's BBS/VLF?
> We don't have 2-D Discrimination
> We don't have Smartfind
> We don't have 3 Channels as per 'E Trac', with Aut
> o Sens and Suggested Sens run by L, M & H Channels
> .
> Will we have +3 and -3 as in the User option?
>
> I'm wondering if Noise Cancel will shift these fun
> damental frequencies by much?
> I'm guessing there will be 8 NC Channels
> I'm guessing Sensitivy & Volume will be 1 - 20
> I'm guessing TID' will range from 1 - 99
>
> Maybe I'm completely wrong and way off in my think
> ing?
> Can anyone lucky to have handled 'Equinox' at 'Det
> ectival' confirm the Sens/Vol/Target ID parameters
> ?
>
> Des D
September 20, 2017 07:30PM
Albert --

I always enjoyed your posts on here; glad to see you back "in the game" and excited!

I will continue to gather all the information I can about the "multi-frequency" aspect of this unit. All of the rest of what it can do looks really, really good at first glance (pending confirmation through testing). But that multi-frequency mode will be, for me, the "make or break" aspect of this machine. I saw a video today where someone who has used one talks about "very stable ID with depth," but that's just words. If that PROVES to be the case remains to be seen. But I really hope we get some more details about "Multi-IQ."

Steve
September 20, 2017 07:34PM
The word equinox in Latin means 'equal night.'
When the night is as equal duration as day......two days in the year this occurs.....Sept 22nd and March 20th.

Maybe it is half BBS and half VLF...... as Des D says. Just kicking bushes here, lol.
September 20, 2017 07:37PM
If it is indeed a BBS VFLEX hybrid baby I'm sure the Nox will turn into a classic.

BBS doesn't give small iron high conductive tones, small iron is where it should be. A low grunt.
And it just goes with the flow from low mineral to high mineral.

VFLEX is fast and get the ground settings just wright it is DEEP. You simply can't go as deep on low conductors with FBS or FBS2 as you can
with VFLEX. It will hint at a good target and leave you perplexed at the depth.

If they have found a way to blend my 2 favourite detectors together,... I'm in Minelab bliss!!
Let's hope so.

HH
Johnb
September 20, 2017 07:54PM
Brandon Neice said

"It's not FBS or BBS".
September 20, 2017 08:06PM
Des D Wrote:
> Why so?
> The Frequencies chosen are more in line with the o
> lder 'Sovereign / Excalibur' BBS system albeit wit
> h some now slightly adjusted frequency shifting.
>
> Sovereign - 4.5 , 6.0, 9.0, 10.5, 15, 19.5, 21.00
> Equinox - 5, 10, 15, 20, 40kHz
>
> The hybrid aspect comes in @ 40kHz and I'm thinkin
> g this will not function in Multi-Frequency unless
> the 20kHz comes in as well as 'a double act' for P
> rospecting?
>
> For 'Beach' use, it could be a trio of 10, 15 & 20
> to maximise sensivity to gold rings and 'hard to f
> ind' gold chains.
>
> What else is convincing me that it's BBS/VLF?
> We don't have 2-D Discrimination
> We don't have Smartfind
> We don't have 3 Channels as per 'E Trac', with Aut
> o Sens and Suggested Sens run by L, M & H Channels
> .
> Will we have +3 and -3 as in the User option?
>
> damental frequencies by much?
> I'm guessing there will be 8 NC Channels
> I'm guessing Sensitivy & Volume will be 1 - 20
> I'm guessing TID' will range from 1 - 99
>
> Maybe I'm completely wrong and way off in my think
> ing?
> Can anyone lucky to have handled 'Equinox' at 'Det
> ectival' confirm the Sens/Vol/Target ID parameters
> ?
>
> Des D

Interesting Des and we can't ignore the obvious (that only you have mentioned, lol).
I really doubt that Minelab is doing something completely new. They might call it something completely knew, but it really look like they have taken baby steps if you look at their BBS and FBS line of machines.
Wouldn't it make sense to take the best of both and put it together? Or just take the best of either and improve on it? Regardless, I imagine that there is a connection to the past here.

It took a while for people to understand how the BBS and FBS machines truly operated and even then, not an easy thing to English, eh? So, once people figure out the "common English" of what the Equinox is actually doing, I wonder if it will be easily communicated (for the common man.) Funny
as I haven't seen much of that with other machines. Minelab does seem to be extraordinarily creative and technologically advanced.

Great points regarding your "What else is convincing me that it's BBS/VLF? " examples. Gives me a lot to ponder over.
Thanks to you, Steve, etc for the more technical education.

I must say it is fun trying to piece this together, both individually and as a group.

Steve - Definitely likewise bro! Fun to be back, at least on the forum, actually swinging a machine is going to be the next step, albeit after winter.

Hey, regarding "very stable ID at depth", I'd be curious of the depth (Any word here at all? I heard deeper than the CTX from that tester, but nothing more). ANYONE who has an Equinox right now is an advanced detectorist (or related to someone at Minelab. lol) and we can't just bar their words as fluff. Barring the latter (relative), I wouldn't discount those words. Just like the tester in the video who prefers the Equinox over his CTX, I'd put some trust in the words here. (Minelab may not have gotten the weight thing right, but when have they messed up the tech? And don't anyone give me a $200 Go Find as an example. lol) I think you are on to something.

Albert
September 20, 2017 09:04PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Brandon Neice said
>
> "It's not FBS or BBS".

? You don't believe that do you???

He is telling the truth: it's not: but the new tech is [ derived ] from established Technology, called 'Multi IQ'

It IS great fun though, trying to solve the mystery and put all the pieces (shown) together to form a cumulative assessment?

Des D
September 20, 2017 09:22PM
Des D Wrote:
>
> damental frequencies by much?.....
>
> Des D

Do we have 100% confirmation that it has a noise cancel circuit?

I know the Scot mentioned in in the one video, but has anyone seen it?
September 20, 2017 09:43PM
Des D Wrote:
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> -----
> > Brandon Neice said
> >
> > "It's not FBS or BBS".
>
> ? You don't believe that do you???
>
> He is telling the truth: it's not: but the new tec
> h is [ derived ] from established Technology, call
> ed 'Multi IQ'
>
> It IS great fun though, trying to solve the myster
> y and put all the pieces (shown) together to form
> a cumulative assessment?
>
> Des D

I don't know him at all. I just figured he would know.
September 20, 2017 09:49PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Des D Wrote:
> -----
> > I am still of the opinion that 'Equinox', is a h
> yb
> > rid of BBS and VLF (VFlex)
> .....
> >
> > I'm wondering if Noise Cancel will shift these f
> un
> > damental frequencies by much?.....
> >
> > Des D
>
> Do we have 100% confirmation that it has a noise c
> ancel circuit?
>
> I know the Scot mentioned in in the one video, but
> has anyone seen it?

Yes, 5:40 in this video.

[www.youtube.com]
September 20, 2017 09:54PM
That's what I'm talking about, the Scot just briefly mentions noise cancel, but doesn't look like we ever see it on the screen. Sorry, this is an important one, and not that I don't trust you Craig, BUT I want to see it smiling smiley

If this thing can noise cancel the single and multi frequency settings, that's a game changer IMHO.

detectingMO Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> -----
> > Des D Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > I am still of the opinion that 'Equinox', is a
> h
> > yb
> > > rid of BBS and VLF (VFlex)
> > .....
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if Noise Cancel will shift these
> f
> > un
> > > damental frequencies by much?.....
> > >
> > > Des D
> >
> > Do we have 100% confirmation that it has a noise
> c
> > ancel circuit?
> >
> > I know the Scot mentioned in in the one video, b
> ut
> > has anyone seen it?
>
> Yes, 5:40 in this video.
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> ja1b5CFgAcM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 09:56PM by Cal_cobra.